I was super productive during the month of September. In my October Goals post I decided to be just as productive, if not more.
Well, I have been sick for the whole month of October so far. I’m better now, but I missed work all last week. It was nice being home, but I spent it on the couch resting so there was no reading, no writing.
We’re about halfway through October and I had hoped to finish my outline for NaNoWriMo by now, but oh well. Things happen.
You always plan for what you want to accomplish. You plan for what you want to happen. You assume it’ll happen because you planned it and nothing could ever go wrong or get in your way.
Well, plans change and when that happens you need to be flexible and work something else out. Because let’s face it: Life doesn’t care about any plans we’ve made.
So I didn’t get much work done, but because of that I think I’ve come up with a better solution to balance writing, reading, blogging, and real life things.
All I have to do is stick with it the best I can.
1. I will not be writing one Short Story Sunday a day. I’m going to save that for December.
2. I am not going to “cheat” during NaNo anymore. I’m going to finish my outline and leave it until November starts. I was originally going to start handwriting, but I changed my mind. Computer it is.
3. My reading list for October changed. There’s no surprise there; especially since I had to skip a week.
That’s where I stand at the moment. I hope everyone else is moving along nicely in their own writing worlds.
Friday: I didn’t do much. I’ve had a head cold for the past week so after work on Friday I didn’t do much of anything. I had the opportunity to go to the movies, but when you have an off-and-on headache that doesn’t want to quit, a dark, loud movie theater is the last place you want to be. Instead, I took a bath and started reading a new book.
Saturday: I felt much better, but still under the weather. I managed to get a few things done, though. I started editing the first part of Detective Florence‘s second draft. The edit was due on Sunday for my writer’s group. Of course I left it until the last minute. It was in my mind all month, but the 15th of the month always seems so far away until it’s staring you right in the face.
I also continued to read the book I started on Friday. I didn’t enjoy it as much as I hoped I would, yet I couldn’t put it down at the same time. Go figure.
Sunday: I skipped church due to my cold. It was nice to have an extra day to stay home and do nothing. I finished typing up the edited second draft of Detective Florence and sent it off to my writer’s group. Then I spent the majority of the rest of the day reading that book.
Kris is house/pet sitting this week for our neighbors so I went over to their house for a couple of hours last night just to hang out. A new episode of Once Upon A Time was on, so we watched it in their gorgeous living room.
On a side note, I finished reading that book this morning. I’m going to give it a review once I finish reading the trilogy and do all three books at once. Given the ending of the first book, I think that would be a better way to do it. I have a love/hate relationship with that book, so I have no idea how the rest of the series is going to go.
This Week: I plan on starting my outline for Camp NaNo next month. It’s something I should have already started, but of course I didn’t. It’s spring break this week for school, so at least I won’t have any homework to do.
I also plan on getting some of my April posts done so I can focus more on NaNo next month.
In addition to that, I need to continue writing and editing Detective Florence 2 as well as read and edit the stories my writer’s group submitted. There’s only four, so I think it will give me a chance to really take my time with each one.
I called out of work again today. I was giving myself another chance to get my appetite back. I’m still not 100%, but it looks like I will be going to back to work tomorrow; especially since I was capable of walking around today.
However, even though I had the day off, I figured I should continue resting. Then again, because I was able to wander around without getting too dizzy I wanted to do stuff.
I didn’t get anything done. Resting won.
Kris pet sits for my uncle’s dog, Cookie, three days a week and today was one of those days. As you can see below, Cookie and I were content cuddling on the couch… when she wasn’t running around like a mad man, I mean.
Since I was in a decent state of mind and Kris and I put eight computer players duking it out on Super Smash Brothers Wii U for background noise (in other words, we were doing nothing), I got to thinking. I thought about everything I did not get to do this past weekend because I was dead to the world.
1. Query Nature According to Bobby — I was going to do one final look over for my childrens book manuscript and then send it out to a few agents this past weekend. Since the start of 2015, I’ve been slowing gathering agents’ information with the help of the Writers Market. This was going to be my weekend to officially get Bobby on his way, but… that’s going to have to wait until next weekend.
2. Shopping spree — I’m little. I’m short, skinny, petite, whatever you want to call it. I stopped growing a long time ago and because of that I have the same clothes I wore in high school (I’m pretty sure two of my sweaters are from middle school). I don’t particularly mind this because the clothes I wear are nice and comfortable. Plus, I can’t wear anything too fancy because I spend most of my time at work… I work with preschoolers. Enough said.
However, as nice as my clothes are, it would be nice to get some new ones for a change. I found a gift card that was a class gift from the parents at my old preschool. I’ve had it for over a year and still haven’t used it. It has a good amount of money on it, so I thought it would be nice to go through my clothes, donate some, throw away others, and then go shopping.
3. Clean — My bedroom, my office, and the bathroom need to be clean. They need a good dusting and vacuuming. Plus, I want to organize my video games, music, and movies. Also, we just got two new cabinets for the bathroom so I need to organize all that stuff because right now everything is currently sitting on my dresser.
4. Barnes & Noble — I can’t stress this enough. I didn’t get to go to Barnes & Noble this week. That’s what I look forward to every week. Sure, there’s next week… but it’s the principle. Also, I needed to go to Staples. I need more red pens. I have one red pen and it’s running out of ink from editing Detective Florence 2. I have many black and blue pens. Heck, I’m pretty sure I have pink, purple, gold, whatever, but I like red pens for editing. It just makes it more “official” to me. You agree with me, right? Say yes.
I think that’s all I had planned for the weekend. I know it seems like a lot and I didn’t expect to get through all of that over the weekend, but it would have been nice to get a few of those things done.
It is what it is. Tomorrow’s a new day and I’m feeling better. So I’ll start fresh after work tomorrow. Plus, this weekend is a long weekend thanks to Martin Luther King, Jr. So I’ll have Monday as an extra day.
I guess everything does tend to work out in the end, doesn’t it?
I have three sick days total at work. Yes, just three. One would think that someone working with preschoolers all day five days a week would get a little more than that; especially considering that preschool teachers constantly sit on the floor, change diapers, and wipes noses.
I don’t usually care about that. I never use those days because l never really need them. Except now l’m sick.
Friday night l woke up in the middle of the night with the stomach bug. I stayed in bed and slept all day on Saturday. Kris and l did not get to go to Barnes & Noble, which was sad.
Sunday, l did not go to church because l was still in bed attempting to eat toast. Today I did not go to work. I have very little energy and still have no appetite. I will not be going to work tomorrow, either.
Long story short (after this long ramble), l haven’t been getting any writing done in the past few days.
Good news is, l don’t have a boss to call in sick when it comes to writing. Bad news is, l didn’t get anything done.
How do you take a sick day from writing? Is there such a thing?