I tried something different for Camp NaNo this session. I decided to log in hours instead of words. It has been, to say the least, interesting. Here’s my Camp NaNoWriMo Wrap Up.
Instead of writing 50,000 words this month, like I normally do for all Camp sessions, I decided to edit Crossroads. Of course, at this point we all know how that turned out. I ended up re-doing everything and did a total rewrite. So, in a way, I probably could have logged in words instead of hours.
However, because I was planning on editing I decided to count my hours. I set my goal for 31 hours so as long as I worked on the novel for at least one hour a day, I’d be happy. It’d get me into a routine at least. This worked beautifully the first week of Camp. I consistently worked on my novel for one hour every day.
A Little Lag
Then week two came along. Everyone calls week two the slump. It never really has been for me, but this time? Oh, yeah. It’s not even that I was really in a slump, per se. I just kept putting off working on the novel. I had so many other things to do that I kept telling myself, “I’ll get to it after this.” Before I knew it, the end of the week was near and guess what? I had logged in zero hours.
Luckily, I sat down on a Saturday and worked on my novel for five hours straight. I had a few epiphanies while doing so as well. This didn’t completely catch me up though. I was still three hours behind after this. I figured, if I worked two hours a day, I’d be able to easily catch up.
Not only was I behind, but I was going on vacation the last full week of July. I knew I wasn’t going to be able to work on my novel while on vacation. I mean, I guess I could have, but I wanted the break anyway.
So, the week before, I scrambled to get some hours in. Now, I have just a couple more hours left to go with just a few more days left in the month.
I’m pretty sure I can do it.