Stuck on your NaNoWriMo novel? Or just your writing in general?
Play a quick game to get your mind thinking creatively again.
I thought of this game the other day all by myself, but I’m sure something similar exists out there somewhere.
All you need is one six-sided die. Roll it. See what number comes up.
1. Add a new character — A new face can change everything.
2. Switch the scene — Go inside if your characters are outside, go outside if your characters are inside.
3. Change the weather — Weather affects moods, is it raining? Snowing? Sunny? Tornado?
4. Dictionary — Open up a dictionary to a random page, learn a new word or say hi to an old one, fit it into your novel.
5. Goodbye — Say goodbye to one of your characters whether they die or leave for a trip or something else of the kind.
6. Question — Ask, “Where do we go from here?” See what answers your characters come up with.
I suppose you could get two dice and go up to 12. I hadn’t thought that far ahead yet.
Maybe I’ll do a part two of this if anyone is interested. Better yet, let me know if you come up with anything yourself.
Let me know if any of you actually try this out. I’m sure it will twist and turn your novel.